Saturday, July 13, 2024

Internal Review

My workplace sends guests a review form after they receive a massage, and I remember the client who wrote this particularly wonderful review.

She was interested in trying cupping during her massage. When I initially applied the first cup, she found the suction too intense, so I immediately adjusted it. Client comfort is always important, particularly when introducing someone to a technique they have never experienced before.

The cups I use are made of silicone, which allows me to control the amount of suction by gently squeezing the cup before placing it on the skin. Once applied, the cups can either remain stationary or be moved across the skin with a controlled gliding motion. When used as part of a massage, gliding cupping can provide a different type of sensation and can be incorporated into work involving areas of muscular tension and restricted soft tissue mobility.

I particularly like silicone cups because they give me a great deal of control over the intensity of the technique. They can be adjusted quickly based on the client's comfort level, which makes them a practical option for introducing someone to cupping.

I also have my own set of silicone cups at home and have used them on myself and, when appropriate, on family members.

The first cups I ever encountered were glass cups used with a suction gun. The gun creates the vacuum inside the cup, allowing it to adhere firmly to the skin. Depending on the amount of suction used, this type of cupping can feel considerably more intense.

For someone who has never experienced cupping before, I generally prefer the control and adjustability of silicone cups. They provide an opportunity to experience the technique gradually rather than immediately beginning with strong suction.

As with any massage technique, communication is essential. Cupping should be adjusted according to the individual's comfort level, and there is no reason for a client to endure excessive discomfort simply because a technique is supposed to feel “deep” or intense.

A good massage is not about how much pressure a therapist can apply. It is about using the appropriate technique, at the appropriate intensity, for the individual client.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bridging Eastern and Western Perspectives on Massage

 People have developed many different ways of understanding the body, health, and the effects of massage. Western healthcare encompasses a r...