Wednesday, January 21, 2026

My Least Favorite Massage - Prenatal Massage

One of the questions I am asked most often is, “What is your favorite massage to perform?”

I enjoy working with the various modalities in which I have been trained, and I am comfortable adapting my techniques to different clients and needs. However, if I am being completely honest, there is one type of massage I have never particularly enjoyed performing: prenatal massage.

Over the years, I have performed many prenatal massages, and despite having plenty of experience with them, they have never become a favorite of mine. My preference has remained the same throughout my career.

Why Prenatal Massage Is Challenging for Me

The primary reason is the side-lying position that is commonly used during prenatal massage.

Many expectant clients seek massage because they are experiencing discomfort in the back, neck, hips, or other areas affected by the physical changes of pregnancy. As a massage therapist, I personally prefer working on the back when a client can comfortably lie prone, because it gives me broad access to the entire posterior body and allows me to use the body mechanics that feel most natural to me.

Side-lying changes that considerably.

With the client positioned on one side, I am working with a different orientation of the spine and can only address portions of the back at a time. The same is true when performing scalp massage. I genuinely enjoy scalp work, but side-lying makes it difficult to access both sides of the head equally.

Then there are the body mechanics.

My technique is very dependent on positioning myself correctly around the massage table. With side-lying work, I find myself applying oil from different angles, rotating my arms and shoulders differently, and working with my hands and wrists in positions that simply do not feel natural to me.

In other words, my ergonomics feel completely different.

And after nearly three decades in this profession, I know what good body mechanics feel like for me. Prenatal massage takes me well outside of that comfort zone.

It's a Personal Preference

Some of the places where I have worked did not require every therapist to perform prenatal massage, while others expected all therapists to provide it as part of their regular services.

When given a choice, I have always preferred other forms of massage.

In fact, if you gave me the option of performing five Deep Tissue massages in one day or one 60-minute prenatal massage, I would choose the five Deep Tissue sessions without hesitation.

I would even rather perform a two-hour massage than a 50-minute prenatal session.

That is how strong my preference is.

This does not mean that prenatal massage is unimportant or that I do not appreciate the value it can provide to expectant clients. Pregnancy can place considerable physical demands on the body, and appropriately performed prenatal massage can be a wonderful way for an expectant mother to receive relaxation and comfort.

It simply means that prenatal massage and I have never been the perfect professional match.

Every massage therapist develops techniques, modalities, and treatment environments that suit their individual strengths and preferences. After all these years, I have learned what I enjoy doing, what I do well, and what I would happily leave to another therapist who genuinely loves prenatal work.

And I have a tremendous amount of respect for the therapists who do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bridging Eastern and Western Perspectives on Massage

 People have developed many different ways of understanding the body, health, and the effects of massage. Western healthcare encompasses a r...