Friday, May 3, 2013

When Professional Boundaries Are Disrespected

Few things are more frustrating than discovering that a personal item has gone missing from your workspace. After using tangerine essential oil on my hands to mask the lingering scent of rubbing alcohol from hand sanitizer, I returned to clean my massage room after my client had left, only to discover that my essential oil was gone.

It is disappointing to think that someone might take something that does not belong to them, especially in a professional environment where trust and respect are essential. As massage therapists, we work hard to maintain a clean, welcoming space for our clients, and we should be able to do so without worrying about our belongings disappearing.

It may seem like a small item to some people, but the principle matters. Respecting someone else's property should be a basic courtesy, regardless of the item's monetary value. Discovering that something is missing from a room where you have just provided professional care is frustrating, unnecessary, and entirely avoidable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Person Behind the Massage: Why Tipping Matters

I don't normally work Wednesdays, but here I am, picking up an extra shift to make up for the tiny paycheck I received after taking time...