Cynthia and I used to close the spa together in the evenings. On slower nights, when business was quiet, we would talk and share stories about our lives. Through those conversations, we discovered that we had many parallels in our experiences, even though we had taken different paths in how we navigated our personal traumas. Those quiet moments allowed us to connect beyond our shared work as massage therapists.
One of my fondest memories of Cynthia was when she introduced me to my first sake tasting. What was supposed to be a fun evening turned into the first time I had gotten thoroughly drunk as an adult. Cynthia laughed at me throughout the evening, but she also took care of me until I was sober enough to drive home safely. We even went to see Magic Mike in the theater that night. I suspect she wasn't quite as enthusiastic about the movie as I was, but she humored me and made the evening memorable.
Looking back, it is those little moments that stay with us. It is not always the grand gestures or significant milestones that make a friendship meaningful. Sometimes, it is the laughter, the late-night conversations after a long day at the spa, and the memories that seem ordinary at the time but become precious as the years pass.
Cynthia was a genuinely sweet and kind woman. As a massage therapist, she worked in a profession centered on caring for others, and she also had a deep desire to experience love, give love, and make the people around her happy. Like all of us, she had her own struggles and experiences, but I will remember the warmth she brought into my life and the kindness she showed me.
I am grateful that our paths crossed and that I had the opportunity to know her not only as a coworker in the massage therapy profession but also as a friend. Although our lives eventually moved in different directions, the memories we shared remain with me.
May Cynthia find the peace and rest she deserves. I hope she knew how much the little things she did for others mattered, including the laughter, friendship, and care she gave to the people fortunate enough to know her.
A hui hou, Cynthia, my sweet friend. Until we meet again, you will be remembered with love.

No comments:
Post a Comment