Monday, March 24, 2025

Professional Boundaries: When a Massage Appointment Must Be Declined

One evening, I had to decline my final client of the night because she had recently used cannabis. The decision upset her girlfriend, but as a massage therapist, I have a responsibility to recognize contraindications and make professional decisions that prioritize client safety.

When I brought the client into the treatment room, I began with my usual intake question.

Me: "Are there any areas you'd like me to focus on today?"

Client: "My shoulders, probably, maybe my upper back. They've been sore."

Me: "Have you recently used cannabis?"

Client: "Yes."

Me: "I can smell it quite strongly, and I'm sorry, but I won't be able to proceed with your massage tonight. Recent cannabis use can affect how someone responds to treatment, so I need to follow our professional policies. We can discuss rescheduling instead."

To her credit, the client was understanding and agreed to reschedule. I accompanied her toward the lobby to speak with the receptionist.

As we reached the lobby, I tried to keep the interaction light and reassure her that my decision was professional rather than personal. I explained that, although I occasionally use cannabis myself, I could not provide a massage under those circumstances.

Her girlfriend immediately reacted with disbelief and challenged my explanation. Rather than escalating the situation, I left the receptionist to handle the discussion and returned to my duties.

Later, I learned that the girlfriend had complained that I was rude and had allegedly told the client that she smelled bad. That was not what I said. I explained that I could smell cannabis strongly, which was the reason I could not proceed with the appointment. Identifying an odor relevant to a treatment decision is not the same as insulting a client.

Fortunately, my manager supported my decision. A coworker also agreed that declining the appointment was appropriate, particularly given the strength of the odor when the clients arrived.

The lesson is simple: professional boundaries must remain in place, even when clients disagree with them. A massage therapist should never feel pressured to proceed with a treatment simply to avoid upsetting someone. Our responsibility is to make informed decisions, follow workplace policies, communicate respectfully, and prioritize the well-being of everyone involved.

Sometimes, professionalism means knowing when not to provide a service. That decision should never require an apology for doing the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Person Behind the Massage: Why Tipping Matters

I don't normally work Wednesdays, but here I am, picking up an extra shift to make up for the tiny paycheck I received after taking time...