Monday, December 29, 2025

The Reality of Deep Tissue Massage: When Pain Is Misinterpreted

In my 28 years as a massage therapist, I have learned that clients respond to deep tissue work in many different ways. Some remain completely silent, while others vocalize as they work through discomfort, muscle tension, and the intensity of a treatment. These reactions are not inherently unusual, nor should they automatically be interpreted as something inappropriate.

Recently, I worked with a male client who had an athletic build, excellent posture, and well-developed musculature. He requested a deep tissue massage combined with assisted stretching, both of which are areas in which I have considerable experience. Deep tissue massage is one of my specialties, and it is a service I perform frequently.

Throughout the session, the client moaned, grunted, breathed heavily, and even muttered a quiet expletive while I worked on his muscles and guided him through stretches. His vocal responses were consistent with someone reacting to the intensity of the treatment. There was nothing sexual about the session or the work being performed.

Unfortunately, sounds made during a massage can sometimes be misinterpreted by people who are not familiar with the realities of bodywork. However, vocalization is a normal human response to physical exertion and discomfort. Weightlifters grunt during demanding lifts, athletes vocalize during intense competition, and people in labor may moan or breathe heavily while managing contractions. These sounds are not inherently sexual; context matters.

Deep tissue massage involves working with the body's soft tissues, often applying sustained pressure to areas of tension. Assisted stretching can also take a client through ranges of motion they may not comfortably achieve on their own. Depending on the technique, the client's sensitivity, and the condition of the tissues, these treatments can produce intense sensations. Some clients breathe deeply, grunt, or vocalize as they respond to the pressure.

As a therapist, I monitor my clients' responses, communicate with them, and adjust my techniques as needed. My goal is to provide effective treatment while respecting the client's comfort and physical limits. After nearly three decades in this profession, I understand that each client responds differently, and I do not assume that every sound indicates a problem.

What upset me most about this particular experience was learning that a coworker had discussed my client's vocalizations with other therapists in the break room. She reportedly said she wanted to activate the emergency button so the receptionist could check on me or ask me to quiet my client.

If a staff member genuinely believes that a client or therapist may be in danger, checking on the situation through an appropriate workplace procedure is understandable. However, treating ordinary responses to an intense massage as suspicious without first establishing that something is wrong can create unnecessary concern and unfairly cast doubt on a colleague's professionalism.

There is a significant difference between responding to a legitimate safety concern and making assumptions based on sounds taken out of context. A professional workplace should encourage appropriate communication, thoughtful judgment, and respect for colleagues rather than speculation.

I was grateful that two coworkers brought the conversation to my attention. Their willingness to speak with me directly gave me an opportunity to understand what had been said and address my concerns. It also reminded me how important trust and discretion are in a shared professional environment.

After 28 years of practicing massage therapy, I take pride in my skills, work ethic, and commitment to my clients. I welcome legitimate concerns about safety and professional conduct, but I also believe that experienced therapists deserve the courtesy of having their work understood in context before conclusions are drawn.

Massage therapy is skilled, hands-on work. A client's physical response to treatment should not automatically be sexualized, and a therapist's professionalism should not be questioned based on assumptions alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Person Behind the Massage: Why Tipping Matters

I don't normally work Wednesdays, but here I am, picking up an extra shift to make up for the tiny paycheck I received after taking time...