Monday, October 5, 2026

Why I Became a Minimalist

I am a minimalist. To me, that means I like to have as little stuff as possible.

I used to collect Hello Kitty, coins, emoji demons, stickers, interesting marbles, and all kinds of other little things. Looking back, a lot of it was simply a waste of money and time. Over the years, people have also given me gifts for holidays and special occasions, and much of it eventually became clutter.

Sometimes it was clothing I would wear once because I really only like wearing neutral colors: black, white, gray, and beige. It’s not that I live a boring life. I just don't want to own a lot of stuff.

The more stuff you have, the more there is to clean, wipe down, dust, organize, store, and eventually pack away. I don't buy nonessentials anymore. My favorite thing to buy is books, and even then, I don't keep every book I buy. I usually buy them used, read them, and then donate or sell them.

I learned to appreciate minimalism after moving half a dozen times in a relatively short period. The more you own, the more you have to pack when it's time to move. Personally, I like starting fresh when I move.

For years, I didn't even have a bed. My sister eventually insisted that I get one. I've been sleeping on a bed for about three years now, and I honestly don't like the way my body feels when I wake up. I also don't like having to make the bed every day. I used to sleep on the floor and simply roll up my bedding when I needed the space. My apartment was immaculate.

Now, living with my sister, who has about 25 years' worth of belongings, and having to share space has been a completely different experience. What might feel normal to someone else feels incredibly cluttered to me. So I do my best to keep my bedroom and bathroom as tidy and uncluttered as possible.

I've learned that chaos in the house can bring chaos to the mind. When I'm surrounded by piles of things, crowded surfaces, and objects that don't have a purpose, I feel it mentally. It becomes harder to relax, focus, and feel at peace. When my surroundings are clean and uncluttered, my mind feels calmer too.

That's really what minimalism means to me. It's not about having an empty house or owning as little as humanly possible. It's about creating an environment that doesn't constantly demand my attention.

Unfortunately, my husband is not a minimalist. 😂 But he is learning, and he has always been organized. He has OCD, and I have minimalist tendencies. Somehow, we actually work really well together!

If you feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff in your home, you don't have to declutter everything at once. Start small. Removing even a few unnecessary things can create more physical space and, in turn, more mental space.

Chaos in the house can bring chaos to the mind. Here are 20 simple ways to start decluttering:

  1. Clothes you never wear
    If you haven't worn it in a year, ask yourself why you're keeping it.

  2. Clothes that don't feel like you
    If you already know you won't wear something because of the color, fabric, fit, or style, let it go.

  3. Duplicate kitchen items
    You probably don't need six spatulas, three can openers, or four sets of measuring cups.

  4. Expired food
    Go through your pantry, refrigerator, and freezer and get rid of anything expired or unlikely to be eaten.

  5. Old toiletries
    Toss expired cosmetics, dried out products, nearly empty bottles, and things you bought but never liked.

  6. Unused appliances
    If an appliance has been sitting untouched for years, ask yourself whether it's worth the space.

  7. Decorations you don't love
    You don't have to keep something just because someone gave it to you.

  8. Broken things
    If you've been saying "I'll fix it someday" for years, someday may have already passed.

  9. Old paperwork
    Shred documents you no longer need and get rid of unnecessary receipts, manuals, and papers.

  10. Random cords and chargers
    If you don't even know what something belongs to, you probably don't need it.

  11. Free promotional items
    Mugs, tote bags, pens, keychains, and other freebies can quickly turn into clutter.

  12. Unused hobby supplies
    If you abandoned the hobby years ago, you don't necessarily need to keep the supplies for your imaginary future self.

  13. Sentimental items you don't actually like
    Something can hold a memory without needing to take up physical space forever.

  14. Old electronics
    Phones, keyboards, cables, remotes, and outdated devices can take up a surprising amount of space.

  15. Books you won't reread
    Keep the books you truly love and pass along the ones you know you'll never open again.

  16. Excessive duplicates
    Pick your favorite and donate the rest.

  17. "Someday" projects
    If you haven't started it after years of intending to, ask yourself whether you actually still want to do it.

  18. Gifts you don't use
    You can appreciate the person who gave you something without keeping the object forever.

  19. Cluttered surfaces
    Clear off countertops, nightstands, tables, and bathroom counters. Empty space can make a room feel dramatically calmer.

  20. Things that create guilt or stress
    If an object makes you feel obligated, overwhelmed, or guilty every time you see it, ask yourself whether it deserves a place in your home.

Minimalism isn't about owning a specific number of things. It's about deciding what deserves your money, your space, your time, and your attention.

Less physical chaos can mean less mental chaos. Sometimes, clearing a little space around you is also a way of clearing a little space in your mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I Became a Minimalist

I am a minimalist. To me, that means I like to have as little stuff as possible. I used to collect Hello Kitty, coins, emoji demons, sticke...