Most of my clients leave their sessions satisfied with my work, but occasionally, I encounter a client whose expectations are difficult to reconcile with my professional judgment and physical limitations.
One recent experience left me questioning how much responsibility massage therapists are expected to shoulder when a client is dissatisfied, particularly when a business prioritizes customer retention over the well-being of its employees.
This particular client specifically requested me because she had received a massage from me previously, in September 2024, and had praised my work. In fact, I had given her one of my supervisor's complimentary massages after she expressed dissatisfaction with the therapist she had seen before me. Given her positive experience the first time, I had no reason to anticipate any issues with our next session.
On January 12, she requested focused work on her scalenes because she had been experiencing neck discomfort. She also wanted deep tissue pressure throughout the session. I dedicated nearly the entire massage to her upper body, working from between her shoulder blades up toward the base of her skull, including extensive work on her neck. When she was lying supine, I continued working on her neck, clavicular region, and upper pectoral muscles.
Approximately 30 minutes into the session, the middle, ring, and pinky fingers of my right hand began cramping. Even supporting her head with my right hand while using my left hand to work on her neck caused discomfort. I had to adjust my body mechanics and support her head with my arm to give my hand some relief while continuing the treatment.
Despite the physical strain, I believed I had provided focused, effective work in accordance with her requests. Her assessment, however, was very different from mine.
At the end of the session, I asked how she was feeling. She told me, "My neck is still tight. Next time I want JUST my neck worked on and my sacrum."
I was frustrated and disappointed. I had spent the overwhelming majority of the session addressing her upper body, including the very area she had identified as her primary concern. I had listened to her requests, adapted my techniques, and pushed through considerable discomfort to accommodate her preference for deep tissue work.
Her response left me feeling as though the effort and physical demands of the session had gone unrecognized.
There is an important distinction between a client communicating that an area still feels tight and a therapist failing to address the requested area. Massage therapy does not guarantee that every sensation of tension will disappear after one session. Persistent tightness does not automatically mean the treatment was ineffective, nor does it necessarily mean that applying more pressure or narrowing the focus further will produce a better outcome.
In my experience, allowing a therapist to assess and address the body as a whole can sometimes be more beneficial than restricting treatment to a single area. However, clients are entitled to express their preferences, and therapists must communicate clearly about what can reasonably be accomplished within the allotted time. The challenge arises when a client's desired outcome conflicts with the therapist's professional assessment or physical ability to deliver the requested treatment safely.
Fortunately, my lunch break was scheduled immediately after this appointment, giving me an opportunity to rest my hands. I shortened that break to speak with my supervisor because I wanted to explain what had happened and make it clear that I did not wish to work with this client again.
Although she had been pleasant and friendly throughout the appointment, I was concerned about the prospect of repeating a session that had left me physically uncomfortable and exhausted. I did not believe our expectations were aligned, and I did not want to put myself in a position where I would feel compelled to work beyond my physical limits to satisfy her.
My supervisor responded, "Yeah, she thinks you aren't a good match."
I found that response ironic, considering the client had previously praised my work and left a session with me feeling wonderful. This was also the second time she had complained about a massage therapist at our establishment. While clients are certainly entitled to express dissatisfaction, a recurring pattern of complaints raises questions about whether the issue is always the therapist or whether expectations need to be addressed more clearly.
Nevertheless, the decision was made to schedule her another complimentary massage, this time with a different therapist.
What made that decision particularly frustrating was the physical history of the therapist assigned to her. This colleague had only recently recovered from approximately 18 months away from work because of hand pain and has carpal tunnel syndrome. Knowing how physically demanding deep tissue massage can be, I worried about placing another therapist in a potentially difficult situation.
Massage therapy is physically demanding work. Our hands, wrists, fingers, shoulders, and backs are essential tools of our profession, and repeated strain can have serious consequences for our ability to work. We cannot simply replace those tools when they become injured. Our livelihoods depend on maintaining them.
This is why I believe massage businesses need to establish reasonable boundaries when handling complaints. Client satisfaction matters, and legitimate concerns should always be taken seriously. However, repeatedly offering complimentary services to dissatisfied clients without examining the circumstances can create an unhealthy precedent. It may unintentionally reward unreasonable expectations while placing additional physical and emotional pressure on therapists who are already working hard to provide quality care.
I understand that business owners worry about negative Yelp and Google reviews. Online reputations influence customer decisions, and no business wants a public complaint to discourage potential clients. However, trying to prevent every negative review by automatically offering another free service is not always the best solution.
There is a difference between addressing a legitimate service concern and attempting to appease every dissatisfied customer at any cost. Sometimes, the appropriate response is to have an honest conversation about expectations, explain the limitations of a massage session, or acknowledge that a particular therapist and client may not be a suitable match.
Massage therapists are professionals, not machines. We cannot guarantee that every client will leave completely pain-free, and we should never be expected to sacrifice our physical well-being to meet an outcome that may not be realistic.
Ultimately, a successful massage practice should protect both the client experience and the people providing the service. Clients deserve to feel heard and respected, but therapists deserve the same consideration.
A business should not have to choose between customer satisfaction and employee well-being. Both matter, and neither should come at the expense of the other.
No comments:
Post a Comment