I snagged another client from a fellow massage therapist, and I always feel a little guilty when that happens. She initially wanted my coworker, who is her regular massage therapist, but he wasn't available. She asked for a list of available therapists, randomly selected my name, and ended up having quite an experience.
She explained that she had pain where her neck attaches to her skull and specifically instructed me to avoid that area because it makes her dizzy. She also asked me not to stretch her neck or turn it too quickly. Absolutely, ma'am. Your comfort and safety come first. She then proceeded to explain how her regular massage therapist massages her. I smiled internally. Noted, but I'm not here to duplicate someone else's work.
I respected every one of her requests, but I also brought my own experience and skill set to the table. Although she booked a Swedish massage, I incorporated some traction, Shiatsu techniques, deep tissue work, appropriate stretching, and heat where I felt they would benefit her. I knew my coworker generally sticks to the traditional Swedish massage approach, but my style is different. I don't believe in giving every client the same routine just because that's what the menu says.
I have to admit, I struggle when clients try to direct me to replicate another therapist's massage. I respect that everyone has their own style, but I have spent 27 years developing mine. I'm not interested in being a copy of someone else when I know what I bring to the table.
There is a difference between a chef and a cook, between powerhouse music and karaoke, and between a taxi and a chauffeur. All have their place, but the experience is not the same. If you're looking for someone to simply go through the motions, I might not be your therapist. I take pride in my work, and I'm not going to apologize for that.
At one point, while I was working on her left hand, I could practically see the knots in her trapezius muscles calling my name. They were bothering me so much that I went back to address them. She was surprised and asked, "You can see them?" Yes, ma'am. Afterward, she was so impressed with her experience that she rebooked with me instead of her usual therapist.
And that, right there, is why experience matters.
I've been a massage therapist for 27 years, working in chiropractic offices, medical clinics, acupuncture clinics, high-end resort spas, boutique spas, day spas, and my own practice. I've worked with young children, older adults, amputees, and people living with chronic and terminal illnesses. I've seen a wide range of bodies, conditions, limitations, and needs throughout my career.
Massage therapy has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. I was literally born to a massage therapist, and I've been receiving massages since infancy. My understanding of this profession didn't begin when I earned my credentials. It has been shaped by a lifetime of exposure, decades of hands-on experience, and years of learning how to recognize what different bodies need.
So yes, I'm tooting my own horn, and I'm perfectly fine with that. After 27 years in this industry, I know what I'm doing. I know the difference between following a routine and delivering a personalized experience, and I know the value of trusting my hands, my training, and my professional judgment.
I'm not trying to be everyone's massage therapist. I'm committed to being the best therapist I can be for the clients who choose me.
No comments:
Post a Comment