Wednesday, February 18, 2026

Lymphatic Drainage and Gua Sha: When Spa Trends Become Workplace Expectations

The spa industry is constantly evolving, with new treatments and techniques becoming popular as businesses expand their service menus. Recently, my workplace decided that all massage therapists would be expected to incorporate lymphatic drainage techniques using Gua Sha into their treatments. While I have experience adapting to new modalities throughout my career, this particular requirement raises important questions about training, preparation, and professional responsibility.

Gua Sha was not part of the curriculum when I began my massage therapy education nearly 30 years ago. Over time, I learned the technique and became more comfortable incorporating it into my work. Lymphatic drainage, however, is different. I was taught that it requires specialized training, and it is a modality I have intentionally avoided throughout my career.

There is an important distinction between learning a new technique and being expected to perform a specialized treatment without adequate preparation. Lymphatic drainage involves specific knowledge of the lymphatic system, appropriate pressure, contraindications, and the techniques suitable for different client needs. Depending on the type of treatment being offered, therapists may need additional education and hands on instruction to perform it safely and appropriately.

When a spa introduces a new modality, training should be more than a brief demonstration or an expectation that therapists will simply figure it out. Employers should provide comprehensive instruction, opportunities to practice under appropriate supervision, and clear guidelines about which clients are suitable for treatment. Therapists also need to understand the limits of the technique and when a client should be referred to a qualified specialist.

This is particularly relevant in chain spas, where new services may be introduced to meet consumer demand and remain competitive in a changing industry. Although expanding a spa's menu can create opportunities for both the business and its employees, the decision should be guided by more than popularity or current trends. Client safety, informed consent, proper training, and professional standards must remain central to the process.

After nearly three decades in massage therapy, I continue to recognize the value of professional development. However, experience has also taught me that responsible practice means understanding what a technique involves, knowing one's limitations, and seeking appropriate training before offering a new service.

The massage therapy profession will continue to evolve, and learning new modalities is part of that evolution. The goal should not simply be to keep up with the latest spa trends, but to ensure that every treatment offered is supported by appropriate education, sound judgment, and a commitment to client well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Person Behind the Massage: Why Tipping Matters

I don't normally work Wednesdays, but here I am, picking up an extra shift to make up for the tiny paycheck I received after taking time...