Monday, January 26, 2026

Reiki and Massage Therapy: Understanding the Difference Between Energy Work and Evidence-Based Practice

I received my Usui Reiki certification and attunement in 2006. Over the years, however, I have intentionally stepped away from actively practicing Reiki. I am willing to provide it when a client specifically requests it, but it is no longer something I promote as part of my professional practice.

In my experience, Reiki can offer a calming experience for some people. However, I do not consider it a substitute for hands-on therapeutic work, nor do I rely on it to address pain, dysfunction, or underlying pathology. My professional background is in massage therapy, a field in which I work directly with muscles and other soft tissues using techniques informed by anatomy, physiology, and an understanding of the human body.

My approach is evidence-informed and focused on practical outcomes. I want to understand what a client is experiencing, identify appropriate treatment goals, and use techniques suited to their needs. I recognize that relaxation and a sense of well-being have value, but I also believe it is important to distinguish subjective experiences from claims of measurable therapeutic effects.

There is a fundamental difference between offering a practice intended to promote relaxation and claiming that it can resolve pain or medical conditions. I am comfortable acknowledging that some clients find Reiki meaningful, but I do not personally rely on spiritual beliefs, energy work, or passive hand placement as the foundation of my treatment approach.

My philosophy can be summed up this way: There is a difference between hoping the universe fixes something and doing the work to address it in this universe. I am the latter.

In California, massage therapy is a regulated profession, and massage therapists are recognized as health care providers under applicable state law. Reiki, by contrast, is not a state-licensed health care profession in its own right. That distinction matters to me because I take my professional responsibilities seriously and want my work to reflect the scope, training, and standards of massage therapy.

I respect that people have different beliefs and preferences when it comes to wellness. My responsibility, however, is to be clear about what I offer, why I use particular techniques, and what clients can reasonably expect from a session. After years in this profession, I have chosen to keep my practice centered on hands-on massage therapy rather than promoting modalities whose proposed mechanisms and therapeutic claims are not established by strong scientific evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Person Behind the Massage: Why Tipping Matters

I don't normally work Wednesdays, but here I am, picking up an extra shift to make up for the tiny paycheck I received after taking time...