Ralph was originally from Ohio and had moved in with his son and daughter-in-law after his wife passed away. Despite his age and health challenges, he remained remarkably sharp and had a lifetime of stories to share. He had congestive heart failure and a hernia that had persisted despite surgical mesh repair. I remember that when he coughed, his abdomen would visibly bulge because of the hernia.
His skin was especially fragile, particularly on his arms. He would often ask me to skip that area because his skin was so thin that he worried it could tear. I always respected his wishes and adjusted my treatment accordingly. His back, however, was a different story. He preferred deeper pressure, and I remember how much he enjoyed those sessions.
What I appreciated most about Ralph was the opportunity to know him as a person, not simply as a client on my schedule. Working in a setting with private treatment rooms allowed me to build relationships with the people I cared for. Over time, conversations became familiar, stories were shared, and clients became people I genuinely looked forward to seeing.
Ralph's family was just as kind. Every Christmas, they would bring me thoughtful gifts, such as a box of chocolates or a new candle. Those gestures meant a great deal to me because they reminded me that the relationships I built with my clients and their families were appreciated.
Massage therapy is often described as a hands-on profession, but the work can reach far beyond the physical benefits of a treatment. We meet people at different stages of their lives, hear their stories, share conversations, and sometimes become part of their routines during their most vulnerable years. When those familiar appointments come to an end, the loss can feel deeply personal.
Ralph passed away on October 18, 2015. Although years have passed, the memory of him and the kindness of his family have stayed with me. Learning that he was nearing the end of his life brought those memories rushing back, reminding me just how much certain clients can mean to us.
I am grateful I had the opportunity to care for Ralph, listen to his stories, and be a small part of his life. Some clients leave a lasting impression long after their final appointment, and Ralph will always be one of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment